No te patunga aranga tonu iho a Te Rongo pahekeheke. Iwi. Ko raua anake nga taane. Tahu Kua mutu taku kino, kua puta taku pouri me te mamae o toku ngakau; ko tenei, moea to wahine. I konei ka pataitia ko wai e haere hei tutei i te pa. Ka karanga a Hiku, Ko au. Katahi ka haere a Hiku. He extended south to the old Ngaruroro River near Roys Hill and north to the base of Oueroa pa. Ngti Te Whatuiapiti | National Library of New Zealand Nominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume II. Katahi ka haere katoa te pa ki te kari aruhe. Engaging programmes for all year levels from ECE to Year 12, Browse and contribute to New Zealand's Online Cenotaph, Experience life as a WWI soldier in Pou Kanohi Gallery. It was the headquarters of Te Rangiwhakaewa the eponymous ancestor of the Ngati Te Rangi- - 16 whakaewa hapu, now subdivided into Pakapaka and Mutuahi. The survivors fled to Whakakokako whither they were pursued. The purpose of their journey had been to make peace, and the attack upon them was the origin of the name Te Rongopahekeheke (the broken peace). It was in Nukanoa that hakari and celebrations were held, until the Kai Hall Matariki was built. Te Hokitonga and Tuhakoria were killed by the war party of Marangaihenuku. The children of Rangitaumaha and Hineiao grew up at Oueroa. There were also kauta for each family to do their cooking and a community hand pump was used to draw water. Hikawera i a Hine-te-moa WHEN Te Whatu-i-apiti was grown up he travelled away toward the east from his own place, and on his return came to the pa (fortified village) of Te Rangi-taumaha at Heretaunga, beyond Omahu. Richard John Seddon Te Tau - Auckland War Memorial Museum The Poporo is the fruit of a breadfruit tree which has quite delicious fruit that has been prized through the ages. .)+ ; Ia@(HIIq+@<0@I *z{\\Fkuz8%dnJ2@76]f:[gp=}Ee s2bbI6@RkZ(LW+}wKxwCV) Katahi ka whakatika atu a Rangitane, ka mate te tini o Puaiterangi. The toilets were the old kind with chains. [14], Te Whatuipiti attacked Parehemanihi and fought with great prowess. It was translated into te reo Mori by the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography team. Te Whatuipiti and Te Huhuti had three sons and a daughter: Te Whatuipiti married his sons widow, Te Aopatuwhare, and they had a son and a daughter:[7], The story of Te Whatuipitis reconquest of Heretaunga was reported by Hamana Tiakiwai to the Native Land Court at hearings in 1886 and 1889. This incident took place at a pa which stood where the Napier Old People's Home now stands. Turauwha, the high chief, managed to hold Otatara and an uneasy peace treaty was established. When the bird-snaring season ended, Turauwha and his remaining followers were faced with starvation and returned to the shellfish beds at Poraiti where they threw themselves on the mercy of Taraia. Decent can be traced back to the original inhabitants, Kupe, Paikea, Tara, Whatonga, Tara and Toikairakau. Te Whatuipiti fled to Pohatunui a Toru, a fortress on top of a rock pinnacle in the Ruahine range, where Pokia was unable to reach him. His inheritanceincluded Ohiti, Matapiro, Otamauri, Omahaki and the portions of Okawa, Tunanui and Kohurau in the Ngaruroro watershed. Pokia, Tahinga, and Te Rangitaumaha of Te Hika a Ruarauhanga escaped. Whakapapa of Te Pareihe and Te Hpuku - Te Pareihe - Te Ara 8. These important intermarriages took place very soon after the invasion of Rakaihikuroa and Taraia, and reflect the entrenched ancestry of Ngati Poporo. There is approximately seven acres which is known as the total marae area. And build the house Pakewairangi. The third brother was Hikateko. [19] These questions were material to a hearing of the Maori Land Court on claims to the region around mahu in 1889. Stories. Te Awariki (see whakapapa below) was the chief who was slain there. Sitting like a hore, explains Hine-hore. He tangata whakama au ki tenei mahi. Kua mohio te wahine ra ko tona taane te tangata e korero ra. However, there were many raupo homes, with dirt floors that were occupied by whnau. Te Whatuiapiti then asked Hikawera (at a place called Pohatuatoru) to go to Tamaki (Dannevirke) to seek help to avenge the slain. Ka puta i konei ana kupu kino mo Te Huhuti. Their territory extended up the Tutaekuri to Mangaone, where the remains of several of their pa can be seen today. Marangaihenuku was captured and she called out that he was not to be killed until she arrived. He was invited into the village for dinner and there he secretly slept with Te Huhuti and told her to come to him at Rotoatara. These pictures were supplied by several whnau members at a Korongata Marae Whakapapa Wananga held in August 2008. [5] Hinetemoa was a granddaughter of Ngarengare, the ancestor of Ngti Ngarengare, a hap of Ngti Kahungunu based in Wairoa District. The song is addressed to Te Umurangi, the 'little tiny treasure' who is descended from Te Whatuiapiti, a great Ngati Kahungunu chief and warrior. We do not believe that either of these performances would have attracted any special notice as swimming feats in former times.EDITORS.]. He pulled off his clothes and jumped into the water at Upokopoito, holding Te Whatuipitis atua, Parukakariki. The reading rooms will be closed. Ngti Te Whatuipiti - Wikipedia Ka karanga mai a Hineiti, Tukua mai kia patua hei tawhana te ra ki tua piko mai ko koe. Ka utua e Te Umuroa, Ra whea mai to rakau i te ngaru tai moana e whakapae atu nei. Ko Te Rangiwhakaewa i te wa e korero nei kei te mataaho tonu o te whare e takoto ana. The history of Te Rama-Apakura greens | Items | National Library of There was a period of time during the 1960s when the Marae was neglected and Matariki was used to house migrant seasonal workers. One day, when the elders were away, the children fed the taniwha, and gave him only the heads of eels. THE following notes were supplied to me by Messrs. Ranginui Rautahi and Nireaha Paewai of the Ngati-pakapaka and Ngati-mutuahi hapu of the Rangitane tribe. H,M0D+ n ,*6i 9C This information is available on the Maori Land Court website. After picking off the men heading out of the fortress one-by-one, Takutai o Te Rangi was nearly empty and the war party quickly took it. With the help of Maori Access and work schemes, the present kai hall would be ready and dedicated as the kai hall. Tutawirirangi, Ruakete = The whakapapa is articulated in the table below and illustrates key lines of decent to both the original and migrant peoples. Ka pakeke nei a Te Whatu-i-apiti, ko te haerenga mai ki te rawhiti nei ki te haereere, a, ka hoki atu, tae atu ki te pa o Te Rangi-taumaha i Heretaunga, ara, kai ko mai o Omahu. Na konei i mohiotia ai i mate tahi a Te Kahanui raua ko tana tama ko Hikawera i te parekura i Te Arai-o-Turanga, i moe hoki a Hine-te-moa i a Hikawera, ka puta ko Te Whatu-i-apiti. He was told that the latter - 17 was snaring birds. Whakapapa means genealogy. E noho ana me he teko; e noho ana me he hore, akuanei koe taraitia iho ki taku toki pounamu. Mahi ana te hakui nei, a, ka mutu tona mahi ka ki atu ki a Te Whatu-i-apiti. There were ten original blocks of land that were owned by specific whnau. Our taha wairua flourishes and is emphasised by the enthusiasm and energy we have to carry our culture forward. No konei ka noho pouaru a Hine-te-moa. No te tapatapahanga ki te kakahi aranga tonu iho a Te Mata-kakahi. [12] Tiakiwai also recounted the gift of Te Rangitaumaha in 1889, but his version was challenged at the hearing by Meihana Takihi and Paora Kaiwhata. At length Te Whatu and Te Huhuti arose from their sleep when the sun was very high. At the same time, other contingents attacked the men digging fern roots at Otatara, in the battle of Aro Aro Tahuri, and the women and children collecting pipi in the battle of Te Roropipi. Then followed four sons; Taraia II, Hinehore, Hikateko and Kaiaotea. Te Whatuipiti asked his son for instructions, expecting him to pass his wife to his younger brother, Te Hikawera, Te Wawahanga insisted that she should pass to Te Whatuipiti himself. His younger brother Harawira Te Tatere Mahikai inherited his leadership role and was also one of the chiefs that signed the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840. By this action, Turauwha surrendered his mana to Taraia and Ngati Kuhungunu and allowed them to occupy strategic sites controlling the main food sources. Katahi ka haere ki reira. These are some of the words she said to - 33 Te Huhuti: You sitting there like a teko [image at the end of a Maori house]. A saying survives from this timeThe land is Turauwhas but the mana is Taraias. Graphs are temporarily unavailable due to technical issues. He was avenged by Tuhua with the greenstone mere named Te Onewa. A genealogy printed on page 112, Vol. Raupo homes are a form of traditional domestic housing built from a hardwood frame (normally Manuka) and Raupo (a swamp reed) cladding and lining. During this time families lived in their own homes on their entitled blocks of land. No other version, Maori or English, is known to me. Whangaimokopuna became annoyed at this, and snatching at one of the boys, devoured him. Many of our key place names originated from these early origins (Te Whanganui-a-Tara). ,6`2~fO`)&InJF@O>&}A@!Ig`J` |[ https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ngti_Te_Whatuipiti&oldid=1113966724, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Mataweka marae and Nohomaiterangi wharenui on Tapairu Road at, Pukehou marae and Keke Haunga wharenui on State Highway 2 at, Te Whatuipiti marae and Te Whatuipiti wharenui on Te Aute Trust Road in the Ptangata area and north-east of, Kahurnaki marae and wharenui on State Highway 2 at Te Hauke, Korongat marae and Nukanoa wharenui on Maraekakaho Road at, This page was last edited on 4 October 2022, at 03:22. [11] She was saved by Tahinga, one of the attackers. [7] After Rkei-hikuroa's death, an enduring feud developed between the descendants of Ppuma (Te Hika a Ppuma) and the descendants of one of his other wives, Ruarauhanga (Te Hika a Ruarauhanga). Eventually their father settled them on the land. Print the full story. As a result, in his youth he was driven out of the Hawkes Bay region, finding sanctuary in the Wairarapa. However our whakapapa links go back to Whatuiapiti whose boundaries go deep into Central Hawkes Bay. This was the chief stronghold of Rangitane. Originally the land was a swamp that would easily flood during the wet season. She was mourning for Te Kahanui and his son Hikawera who had been killed at the battle of Te Arai-o-Turanga. Then he made his base at Te Purotu. They had eight children, the first four being daughters, Te Huhuti, Ruatiti, Manuitiatoi and Parengenge. It will lead you into the world of light! [20] Te Rangitaumahas lands were nevertheless ultimately inherited by Te Hikawera. Korongata Marae is a Mori Reservation for the purposes of a Marae, a place of historic interest. This pa was situated near Tahoraiti on the Ruaroa road. He then began to set himself up for a reconquest of Heretaunga. Husband of Te Huhuti; Kura-mahi-nono and Poroiti Ka haere mai ano a Parakiore ka patua a Ngati-tahu ki Te Ewe o Taunoa. [23] Hikawera i a Te Uira-i-waho Ka mau a Arataua, ka patai a Kikiterangi ki a ia, Kei whea a Puaiterangi? Ka kiia mai, Kei te tahere manu. Ka whaia, ka mau, ka haria mai ki runga hiwi. Ka patai kei whea a Te Rangiwhakaewa. The majority of his followers fled the province to places like upper Manawatu, Pohangina and Taranaki. The other man soon departed leaving the woman with Hiku. The three sons, Taraia II, Hinehore and Hikateko lived together at Motukumara on Lake Oingo until the time of their marriages. Firstly, Ngati Whatumamoa who dwelt around the shores of Te Whanganui a Orotu; their principal fortress was Heipipi above Bay View with outposts at Tuteranuku and Tiheruheru. When Te Huhuti gave birth to her first child, Te Wawahanga, her father Te Rangitaumaha came to Rotoatara in order to perform the tohi baptismal ritual and named the child Wawahanga. 2014 Korongata Marae, proudly created by Trailmedia. The path to the sea where the people went to gather pipi was named Te Roropipi.. Te Hapuku, sometimes called Te Ika-nui-o-te-Moana, was born in the late eighteenth century. Honour and remember New Zealand's servicemen and women. A fortified pa on the left bank of the Manawatu river where it is joined by the Tamaki river. In January 1991 the land was aggregated by the Maori Land Court. Ka tutaki ki Wharepa. Decent can be traced back to the original inhabitants, Kupe, Paikea, Tara, Whatonga, Tara and Toikairakau. Ko Hine-te-moa hoki i roto tonu i te whare tau e noho ana, kaore ano ia i puta ki waho o tona whare tau. Te Huhuti was also living there. He extended his influence north of the Tutaekuri River by marrying Huakirangi of Ngai Tamawahine whose marriage dowry included Puketapu, Wharerangi, Poraiti and Rissington, Patoka and Puketitiri as well. Ascend, sir, to the watchtower of the fort Tamaira & Pomeroy, M. (2013-2020). Whakapapa: Te Hapuku - maaori.com Accounts and whakapapa Date: 1888-1909 From: Te Whaiti family : Collection Reference: MSY-4809 Description: Contains farm accounts from the Wairoa (Otene and Tuehu Pomare) and Hawke's Bay districts (Te Akonga Mohi); also contains Ngati Kahungunu whakapapa from these districts Favourite Manuscript Whakapapa Date: 1903-1930

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Social Contract Theory, Jackie Graham Felling Gateshead, Fdc Houston Inmate Search, Articles T

te whatuiapiti whakapapa

• No comments yet.
  • Add a comment